[Rd] X11 help please

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 18 13:56:40 CEST 2007

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> rgl normally works under Xvfb on Linux: we've been using that for the
> testing 'for ever'.
>
> However R should not 'crash' on an error in a package, and the X11 device
> has error handlers set up by
>
>  	XSetErrorHandler(R_X11Err);
>  	XSetIOErrorHandler(R_X11IOErr);
>
> I don't see anything comparable in rgl.
>
> The error seems to be in the attributes, so I would have a closer look at
> those.  In particular, how are you running Xvfb?: you may need something
> like
>
> Xvfb :5 -screen 0 1280x1024x24 &
> setenv DISPLAY :5
>
> to ensure that you have a reasonable visual and hence colormap.
> (On my system the default is 12 bit.)

That's interesting - my first thought of Duncan's problem was unusual
colour depth as well, but I thought very few people run their X servers
in anything other than 24-bit or true-color mode these days (and any
MacOSX hardware should be capable of that anyway); if 12-bit is the
Xvfb default it is hightly likely that's the reason.

I have also seen that sort of error messages in CJK related issues,
if the X server's font path has some unsual and broken fonts; so it
might be a good idea to disable any non-english locale, etc and try not
to do anything clever in that direction for the time being.

- I do run my old laptop at 16-bit only, as it is old and I get better
performance that way with little sacrifice on visual appearance,
but that's my choice...