[Rd] X11 help please

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 18 05:50:53 CEST 2007

rgl normally works under Xvfb on Linux: we've been using that for the
testing 'for ever'.

However R should not 'crash' on an error in a package, and the X11 device
has error handlers set up by

 	XSetErrorHandler(R_X11Err);
 	XSetIOErrorHandler(R_X11IOErr);

I don't see anything comparable in rgl.

The error seems to be in the attributes, so I would have a closer look at
those.  In particular, how are you running Xvfb?: you may need something
like

Xvfb :5 -screen 0 1280x1024x24 &
setenv DISPLAY :5

to ensure that you have a reasonable visual and hence colormap.
(On my system the default is 12 bit.)