[Rd] X11() dies in remote background

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Sat Jul 21 18:13:35 CEST 2007

Vincent Carey 525-2265 <stvjc at channing.harvard.edu> writes:

> this is not a problem with R but a request for related advice.
>
> i am trying to run a lengthy batch job from my home.
>
> the OS is ...
> Linux jedi.bwh.harvard.edu 2.4.22-openmosix1smp #1 SMP Fri Sep 5 01:05:37 CEST
> 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> i start the job and put it in the background.  while i am connected, all is
> well.  eventually my ISP shuts down the connection if i do not do any
> input.

One thing you might try is using screen.  The screen program lets you
multiplex terminals in a single window, but the feature you want here
is that it allows you to detach and reattach to a session.  So you
could start a screen session at work or home, start something running,
detach, and then come back later and attach to see how things are going.

However, screen may further complicate your desire to use X11(), but
perhaps with Xvfb run from the screen session things will work.  Do
all of the graphics devices require access to X11()?  I thought you
could use pdf() for example, without X11() but I'm not certain.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org