[Rd] Refreshing the GUI and packing images

Filipe Santos santos at ensam.inra.fr
Tue Jan 23 18:14:55 CET 2007

Dear all

I'm developing a grafical interface for Geneland that is presently one of the
R packages available.

My first question is about refreshing the interface while running a very long
process.

run<-function(){

        tttry <- tktoplevel()
        tkwm.geometry(tttry, "+200+200")
        tkwm.title(tttry,"wait")
        warn<-tklabel(tttry,image=imagepleasewait)
        tkpack(warn)
        tkfocus(tttry)
        tcl("update")

        print("Starting...")

        validate <- 1

        onIdle <- function(){
          if (validate)==1){
            Sys.sleep(0.1)
            tkconfigure(warn,image=imagepleasewait)
            tcl("after","idle", onIdle())
          }
          else
            tkdestroy(tttry)
        }
        onIdle()

        mcmcFmodel(...)

        validate <- 0
}

If I remove the onIdle funtion the GUI stucks when I'm executing the
mcmcFmodel, if I leave it neves calls mcmcFmodel. Then I thought that there
could exist a fork() equivalent in R or somehow send a process to background
but I couldn't find anyway to make that with R-base package.

My second question is in which directory images are supposed to be packed?
R has a strict directory rules for packages and there is no documentation
regarding where should images for GUIs be putten. I was looking at SciViews
package and they distribute that under a directory called gui.

Best regards

Filipe Santos