[Rd] Wishlist: Sweave: allow line breaks after forward slashes (PR#9444)

Arne Henningsen ahenningsen at email.uni-kiel.de
Mon Jan 15 23:43:48 CET 2007

On Monday, 15. January 2007 18:44, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 1/15/2007 11:23 AM, Arne Henningsen wrote:
> > On Friday, 12. January 2007 11:39, you wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> I think you misunderstood me, given the "long answer".
> >
> > Indeed, I misunderstood you.
> >
> >> We haven't
> >> changed the way deparse() handles "/". The solution in R-devel is given
> >> below.
> >
> > I prefer to use "keep.source=FALSE", because I generally like that Sweave
> > takes the job to format the code chunks. Therefore, it would be great if
> > Sweave is allowed to introduce line breaks after forward slashes, e.g. if
> > deparse() adds a blank after a forward slash.
> > Please move this wish from "wishlst-fulfilled" to "wishlst".
>
> I don't think so.  If I thought it was a reasonable request, I'd do
> that, but it's not.  You have a perfectly general solution to your
> problem.

However, setting "keep.source = FALSE" has (IMHO) one major advantage:
I can easily (and globally) change the width of the code chunks by "options(
width = XXX )", e.g. if I change the paper size, the margins or the font
size. With "keep.source = TRUE", I would have to reformat all code chunks by
hand and I generally prefer that my software (LaTeX, Sweave) does this task
for me. Hence,  "keep.source = TRUE" is not a "perfectly general solution"
(at least) for me.

> The fact that it isn't the one you want doesn't mean it needs
> to be listed as an outstanding issue in the bug reporting system.

Okay. Where can I list "minor" wishes?

Arne

--
Arne Henningsen