[Rd] Rscript on Windows

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 16:57:50 CET 2007

Just because its open source does not mean everyone should do everything.
I suspect I have more expertise in Windows batch than the core developers
and also suspect they have more knowledge of the core than I so its a
good division of labor if I provide the batch files and they add -x
since it takes me
less time to produce batch files and they less time to add -x.

Furthermore its possible to develop something for the core and then have
it rejected and while hopefully this won't happen or if does it happens for
good reason, if one works on an external package then there is no chance
the work will be wasted since you have control over it.

In general the idea of having external packages has seemed to work well
and allows parallel development in a maximal way so the idea of having
the core work on the core and others work externally has been successful.

While no one has to provide Rscript or -x or anything else that applies to me
too and I didn't have to develop the external supporting Windows-specific
software in batchfiles or make it available to yet it is now available for you
and others to use with R 2.5.0 (via svn and more formally when I release it
to CRAN probably when R 2.5.0 is released).

Also I think that the success of R in the community is such that the core
developers do have some responsibility to the community at large beyond
their own needs.much as a business which when it gets to a certain size
and prominence has certain responsibilities to society beyond its own
purposes and some reasonable compromise between their own needs
and obvious requirements to complete certain work or do it to a certain
level of quality needs to be taken account of.