[Rd] R installer

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Dec 19 19:02:11 CET 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 12:49 PM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> Simon Urbanek wrote:
> <snipped>
>>> If I were an Apple user (which I am not), there is a chance that I
>>> might have my own gcc/gfortran in /usr/local and I surely do not
>>> want R to temper with them. If you need runtime libgfortran
>>> support, you should just bundle gfortran.so and gcc.so if necesary
>>> (there are static alternatives), and put those in R's area.
>>>
>> That's exactly what we do. Apparently you didn't bother to read my
>> e-mail (the part you "snipped") or to look at the installer. Please
>> do your homework before posting wild (and false) speculations.
> <snipped>
>
> Yes and no... I think if you have to bundle gfortran.so and
> gcc_s.so, you should put them in /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
> Versions/Current/Resources/lib ?

*sigh* - that's what we do (it's libgfortran.dylib by the way) and
that's what I'm trying to tell you all the time and you keep ignoring
it ...

> Why is /usr/local/* touched at all?

It's not ... at least not for R.

> I am actually at this moment sitting in front of a mac (on a public
> university shared computer room) which has gfortran 4.2.0 20070525
> (prerelease) in /usr/local/bin

Quite old one, but well ... ;)

> and  gcc_s.* and libgfortran* in/usr/local/lib and /Library/.../R.../
> lib are different. (which IMHO is the right way to do it).

And that's what the R installer does - it ships with whatever version
was used to build R ... That could be more recent that your gfortran
(if you have one).

Cheers,
Simon