[Rd] R installer

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 19 18:49:35 CET 2007

Simon Urbanek wrote:
<snipped>
>> If I were an Apple user (which I am not), there is a chance that I
>> might have my own gcc/gfortran in /usr/local and I surely do not want
>> R to temper with them. If you need runtime libgfortran support, you
>> should just bundle gfortran.so and gcc.so if necesary (there are
>> static alternatives), and put those in R's area.
>>

> That's exactly what we do. Apparently you didn't bother to read my
> e-mail (the part you "snipped") or to look at the installer. Please do
> your homework before posting wild (and false) speculations.
<snipped>

Yes and no... I think if you have to bundle gfortran.so and gcc_s.so,
you should put them in
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/lib ?
Why is /usr/local/* touched at all?

I am actually at this moment sitting in front of a mac (on a public
university shared computer room) which has gfortran 4.2.0 20070525
(prerelease) in /usr/local/bin and  gcc_s.* and libgfortran* in
/usr/local/lib and /Library/.../R.../lib are different. (which IMHO is
the right way to do it).

HTL