[Rd] interactive graphics devices

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 19 06:35:13 CET 2007

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Byron Ellis wrote:

> I probably missed this discussion, but why not just ASK the device if
> it is interactive? I can easily imagine a case where a device might be
> interactive or not depending on how it was started. In fact, I don't
> have to imagine a case since the Quartz device in R-devel can have
> exactly this behavior. Something like a Cairo device might also have
> this behavior, though I don't know if the current Cairo devices
> support it.

You cannot ASK a device you have not yet opened: see the 'orNone'
argument to dev.interactive().  Beyond that, there is nothing in the
graphics device API to ask an open device.

There are two Cairo devices in two packages and they behave differently:
that makes it rather difficult to determine the behaviour by name.

> On Dec 18, 2007 4:34 PM, Paul Murrell <p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> For all developers of add-on graphics devices:  please note the
>> existence of deviceIsInteractive() for adding your device to the list of
>> devices for which dev.interactive() returns TRUE.  (Available since R
>> 2.6.0;  thanks to Brian Ripley I think)

And Deepayan Sarkar.