[Rd] interactive graphics devices

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 01:56:54 CET 2007

On 12/18/07, Byron Ellis <byron.ellis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I probably missed this discussion, but why not just ASK the device if
> it is interactive?

That's done if the device is open. deviceIsInteractive() takes away
the guessing even when it's not (the use-case is when you type
example(something) without a device open, and R has to decide whether
to set par(ask = TRUE) just by looking at getOption("device")).

> I can easily imagine a case where a device might be
> interactive or not depending on how it was started. In fact, I don't
> have to imagine a case since the Quartz device in R-devel can have
> exactly this behavior. Something like a Cairo device might also have
> this behavior, though I don't know if the current Cairo devices
> support it.

If there's ambiguity, you can choose not to use deviceIsInteractive.
You'll still be OK once the device is open (I don't think there's much
more that can be done).

-Deepayan