[Rd] pure R code package for Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Apr 30 14:51:12 CEST 2007

On 4/29/2007 9:53 AM, Petr Savicky wrote:
>> You can also use the Windows binary build and check service at
>> http://129.217.207.166 after reading its disclaimer...
>
> Thank you very much. This worked including generating .chm file. The resulting
> package is installable under R GUI on Windows XP, which is sufficient for me.
>
> Let me point out that I did not succeed to install any package
> (including the standard ones like rpart) on Windows using R CMD INSTALL <package>,
> although I have Rtools and perl installed, running and in the path.

On Windows, INSTALL is for installing source packages and is documented
this way, but you may not have read the Windows-specific docs.  The
normal way to install binary packages in Windows is to use the
install.packages() function (or the menu item, which calls it).

It should be a simple modification of the INSTALL script to recognize a
.zip file, and do a binary install.  I wouldn't put this at a high
priority:  people who are using R CMD INSTALL tend to be package
developers, and want to install the source; people who want to install
the binaries tend not to have the necessary tools to use R CMD INSTALL.

Duncan Murdoch