[Rd] curious package behaviors under cross-build and/or between windows/unix

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 18 20:49:26 CEST 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have gone back to cross-compiling again, and I have come to two
> curious issues: (I have native R under linux x86_64 and win32 R
> under wine) - both 2.4.1:
>
> (1) for a pure R package (i.e. no compiled code), win32 R would
> happily load the unix version, but the unix version complains
> the cross-built package that it was built for x86 mingw and refuses
> to load it. Is there any reason for the difference?

Yes.  Take a look at the installed DESCRIPTION file, and the Built: line.
(One reason is line endings: not everything works on Unix (diff, for one)
with CRLF endings, but everything does work on Windows with LF endings.)

> (2) I get two "arguments in definition changed from (obj) to (object)"
> messages when I do library(XML) on win32 R - but not on native R,

I get it on all platforms with 2.5.0 RC and later (2.4.x is closed), and it
is a bug in the XML package, AFAICS.