[Rd] curious package behaviors under cross-build and/or between windows/unix

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 18 20:05:54 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have gone back to cross-compiling again, and I have come to two
curious issues: (I have native R under linux x86_64 and win32 R
under wine) - both 2.4.1:

(1) for a pure R package (i.e. no compiled code), win32 R would
happily load the unix version, but the unix version complains
the cross-built package that it was built for x86 mingw and refuses
to load it. Is there any reason for the difference?

(2) I get two "arguments in definition changed from (obj) to (object)"
messages when I do library(XML) on win32 R - but not on native R,
I know R-devel is not for asking omegahat questions, but
the message seem to be emitted by R core, so for some reason win32 R is
behaving differently from native linux R. Again, why the difference
in behavior?

Thanks for an ideas.

Hin-Tak Leung