[Rd] Sweave.sh shell script on CRAN

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 16:05:44 CEST 2007

On 4/16/07, Gregor Gorjanc <gregor.gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si> wrote:
> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> > On Windows sweave.bat is a Windows XP batchfile that will run sweave
> > and then latex and then display the file on screen.   Issuing the command
> > sweave without args from the Windows command line gives info on how to
> > use it.
> >

> Nice to see windows "equivalent". However, I must say that my script
> provides several ways to get to the result e.g. if you use prosper you
> need to go via postscript, beamer behaves differently etc.
>
> There are now the following ways of LaTeX processing:
>
> Command and path Script option             Used tools
> - texi2dvi
>  - PS          -tp, --texi2dvi2ps       texi2dvi and dvips
>  - PS to PDF   -tld, --texi2dvi2ps2pdf  texi2dvi, dvips and ps2pdf
>  - PDF         -td, --texi2dvi2pdf      texi2dvi with pdf option
>
> - latex
>  - PS          -lp, --latex2dvi2ps      hardcoded 'latex+co' + dvips
>  - PS to PDF   -lld, --latex2dvi2ps2pdf hardcoded 'latex+co' + dvips
>
> - pdflatex
>  - PDF         -ld, --latex2pdf         hardcoded 'latex+co' + dvips
>
> > To install sweave.bat you must place sweave.bat (and Rcmd.bat) both
> > from this batchfiles distribution anywhere in your path.  It does not
> > require
> > sh.exe and does not make use of perl but does use  "Rcmd sweave"
> > so would have no prerequisites beyond latex, Acrobot (or other viewer)
> > and those of Rcmd.
>
> As I stated I am not sure how Rcmd works, but Sweave in SVN is a shell
> script as well as Rcmd! How does it become an exe file?
>
> Gregor

If by "Sweave in SVN" you are referring to sweave.bat in the batchfiles
distribution then its not a shell file; rather, its a Windows batch file.
Windows has a batch processor built in that directly runs Windows
batch files without any precompiling to an exe.  As stated, you
simply place sweave.bat and rcmd.bat, both files from the batchfiles
distribution, anywhere in your path to run it.  There is no further installation
required.  That was why I used Windows batch -- to eliminate dependencies,
installation procedures, precompilations setting environment variable
names, etc.