[Rd] wishlist: additional argument in R_tryEval (Rinternals.h)

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 02:54:29 CEST 2007

On 4/6/07, Byron Ellis <byron.ellis at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's come up for me when I do FFI stuff. For GUI stuff I usually just
> want to suppress, but it's possible that you'd want to detect
> visibility if you were to make the GUI more programmable. I usually
> end up having to work around the whole business by fiddling with
> R_Visible.

My GUI is basically a wrapper around R (it's an exercise in teaching
myself Qt), so replicating console functionality is a major goal. R is
embedded and not the main thread, mostly because I didn't read R-exts
carefully enough before starting. But most things have gone fairly
smoothly, and I want to see how far I can go.

> Speaking of R_tryEval, can someone with the appropriate powers PRETTY
> PLEASE just make it an official API? Having it continue to be
> unofficial is just getting silly.
>

> On 4/6/07, Luke Tierney <luke at stat.uiowa.edu> wrote:
> > Even though it isn't officially part of the API it has seen some use
> > so I'd prefer not to change the interface; instead add
> >
> > SEXP R_tryEvalWithVis(SEXP e, SEXP env, int *ErrorOccurred, int *visible);
> >
> > or something along those lines and define R_tryEval internally in
> > terms of that.
> >
> > It may be worth thinking a bit more though to see if there is
> > something else that might be useful at this point.  I vaguely recall
> > thinking recently about needing something else of this flavor but I
> > can't seem to remember what it was exactly -- will try to see if I can
> > recall.

OK, I'll stick with withVisible for now, and wait for something like
R_tryEvalWithVis.

-Deepayan