[Rd] R CMD build when the package name is different from the directory name

Arne Henningsen ahenningsen at agric-econ.uni-kiel.de
Thu Sep 28 13:36:49 CEST 2006

Hi,

I was really happy when I saw that in R version 2.3.0 "R CMD check" works for
packages whose package name is different from the directory name in which it
is located (see http://cran.r-project.org/src/base/NEWS).
Now, I can have branches of my packages in directories like
"[...]/branches/<version number>/", while I had to use
"[...]/branches/<version number>/<package name>" before.
"R CMD check <version number>" runs as expected but when I build the package
with "R CMD build <version number>", the file name of the source package is
name>_<version number>-<patch level>.tar.gz"). Furthermore the base directory
inside the .tar.gz archive is "<version number>" (and not "<package name>").

Is there a possibility to tell "R CMD build" to use the correct package name
("R CMD check" uses the correct package name.) Can you change the (default)
behaviour of "R CMD build" in future releases?

Do I have to change the file name and/or the name of the base directory before
uploading the package to CRAN?

I use R version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01) on i686-pc-linux-gnu.
The same happens with R version 2.4.0 RC.

Thanks,
Arne

--
Arne Henningsen