[Rd] Using \u2030 in plot axis label -> stack smashing

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 19 15:14:29 CEST 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
>>> Thanks Prof. Ripley and Ei-Ji. I should have mentioned that all the
>>> versions I reported for were self-compiled, and I did so with the same
>>> set of flags as the FC5 rpm. Will add that to the list in my head of
>>> things to report.
>>
>> (I think this is probably FC5's flags being over-zealous, but Ei-ji
>> Nakama may know better.)
>
> Probably not all that over-zealous. If you're smashing the stack you're
> smashing the stack. It's not always fatal, but worth fixing.

But there is no evidence we are smashing the stack, and valgrind found no
buffer overrun.  As far as I can tell (killing a process with no core dump
makes it hard to trace) this occurs when we copy 4 bytes from a buffer of
16 bytes to one of 5 bytes.

> I actually have the same set of standard FC5 flags in config.site.
> Without them, we risk Fedora Extra to come out with issues that we
> missed, since they use those flags as a matter of policy.

Apparently FC6 will have different flags/ different default behaviour, at
least for ld.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk