[Rd] Using \u2030 in plot axis label -> stack smashing

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Sep 19 14:23:54 CEST 2006

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> > Thanks Prof. Ripley and Ei-Ji. I should have mentioned that all the
> > versions I reported for were self-compiled, and I did so with the same
> > set of flags as the FC5 rpm. Will add that to the list in my head of
> > things to report.
>
> (I think this is probably FC5's flags being over-zealous, but Ei-ji
> Nakama may know better.)

Probably not all that over-zealous. If you're smashing the stack you're
smashing the stack. It's not always fatal, but worth fixing.

I actually have the same set of standard FC5 flags in config.site.
Without them, we risk Fedora Extra to come out with issues that we
missed, since they use those flags as a matter of policy.

> >> BTW, just applying this patch will not work: you need to rebuild gram.c
> >> in maintainer mode.
> >
> > I'm not clear what you mean by maintainer mode - not something I have
> > come across before. If I update the local source on my machine from the
> > svn server, and make clean, configure and make again, will this be
> > sufficient? Or do I need to do something else?
>
> Yes, now. Before the patch was applied you need to configure with
> --enable-maintainer-mode.

I.e., if the maintainers have done their job maintaining things, they
will have ensured that gram.c was built from gram.y and
non-maintainers need to do nothing further. If you play with gram.y,
you need make sure rebuilding takes place, most easily by configuring
in maintainer-mode.

The fundamental issue is that there are some build tools we don't want
to assume that everybody has (here: YACC/Bison), and also that build
times don't usually survive SVN checkouts, so gram.y may well appear
to be more recent than gram.c.