[Rd] Rcmd install mypkg

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 19:10:07 CEST 2006

On 10/1/06, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 1 October 2006 at 08:53, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> | >
> | > This is an improvement. R tries to be as unique as possible on all
> | > platforms.
> |
> | Not sure what the above means but if you mean it works the same
> | on all platforms that is an error in the design of the software in my view.
> | The objective should be that it fits into the environment its working in.
> |
> | Any Windows user can tell the difference between "clunky" UNIX-derived
> | software which does not feel right on the Windows platform and
> | software that adapts its interface to work like all other Windows programs
> | in that environment.
>
> Generally speaking, I think many of us would beg to differ and much rather
> (continue to) see consistency of R across platforms.
>
> Personally speaking, I would think that taking what I consider to be a clunky
> OS and UI to be the gold standard as somewhat questionable. But that may just
> be me.
>
> Cheers, Dirk
>
> --
> Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
>                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison

I don't want to get into a debate on the merits of an OS but in terms of
user interface principles one wants to fit into the environment that the
software is working in rather than have the user familiarize themselves
with multiple styles of interaction.

If you are running UNIX and Windows you can expect differences when
you move from one to the other but you do not expect differences when
running one program vs. another in the same OS.