[Rd] Rcmd install mypkg

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Oct 1 19:06:37 CEST 2006

On 1 October 2006 at 08:53, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
| On 10/1/06, Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
| > Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
| > > This would seem to violate the user interface stereotype that
| > > command lines are case insensitive on Windows.
| >
| > This is an improvement. R tries to be as unique as possible on all
| > platforms.
|
| Not sure what the above means but if you mean it works the same
| on all platforms that is an error in the design of the software in my view.
| The objective should be that it fits into the environment its working in.
|
| Any Windows user can tell the difference between "clunky" UNIX-derived
| software which does not feel right on the Windows platform and
| software that adapts its interface to work like all other Windows programs
| in that environment.

Generally speaking, I think many of us would beg to differ and much rather
(continue to) see consistency of R across platforms.

Personally speaking, I would think that taking what I consider to be a clunky
OS and UI to be the gold standard as somewhat questionable. But that may just
be me.

Cheers, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison