[Rd] Smallest R executable

Iago Mosqueira imosqueira at suk.azti.es
Tue Nov 21 23:24:33 CET 2006

El mar, 21-11-2006 a las 11:05 -0600, Jeffrey Horner escribió:
> Iago Mosqueira wrote:
> ---
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to find out how can I generate the smallest R executable. R
> is to be run in a grid application, in batch mode, so I need a small
> exceutable, possibly getting rid of any interactive component. Should I
> look at the embedded version? Any other pointers?
> ----
> (email copy and pasted because of charset problems?)
>

> Then look no further than littler (pronounced little r)!
>
> http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/LittleR
>
> Since we switched from using upper-case R to lower-case r, the space
> savings have been incredible! ;)
>
> Seriously, though, you might find it a good fit for batch programming,
> as it supports she-bang style programming. It is an executable linked to
> libR.so, and there's no shell script front-end.
>
> But are you more concerned about saving disk space, or R's in-memory
> footprint?
>
> Jeff

Thanks for that. I'll look at it. We need a smaller executable as it has
to be sent around from the main machine of the grid to be executed on
various nodes. Some nodes are quite far away, with less than gigabit
network speeds, so saving in the size of the R executable sent would be
advantageous.

Regards,

Iago