[Rd] Smallest R executable

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Nov 21 18:05:31 CET 2006

Iago Mosqueira wrote:

I am trying to find out how can I generate the smallest R executable. R
is to be run in a grid application, in batch mode, so I need a small
exceutable, possibly getting rid of any interactive component. Should I
look at the embedded version? Any other pointers?
(email copy and pasted because of charset problems?)

Then look no further than littler (pronounced little r)!

Since we switched from using upper-case R to lower-case r, the space
savings have been incredible! ;)

Seriously, though, you might find it a good fit for batch programming,
as it supports she-bang style programming. It is an executable linked to
libR.so, and there's no shell script front-end.

But are you more concerned about saving disk space, or R's in-memory