[Rd] Wishlist: Vignettes on CRAN

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue May 23 06:21:18 CEST 2006

I currently put my NEWS file in ./inst as the build procedure will
automatically copy that to the main directory of the built distribution.
Thus it appears in
the installed distribution so at least one can get it without
also downloading and unpacking the source.  I also put a note in
mypkg-package.Rd that one can access it via:

   file.show(system.file("NEWS", package = "mypkg"))

where mypkg is the name of the package in this example.  Ditto
for THANKS, README and WISHLIST.   As an example:

library(dyn)
package?dyn

If the build procedure would not delete NEWS files from the
main directory of a package then they could be put there.
One idea might be to not delete any file that is all in caps.