[Rd] helping out

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 19 16:09:33 CEST 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2006, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:
>>
>> I found this mailing list by accident looking for something to tell
>> me about the NULL environment issue that hit me when I moved from
>> version 2.2.1 to version 2.3.0.  If there is a developers page that
>> lists cvs checkout info (or do you use subversion or some other
>> system) and the details of who to submit all patches and things to
>> (is this list for diffs?), I would love to be pointed at it.
>
> We use subversion.  The developer page is http://developer.r-project.org
> and it has subversion logs. The subversion server is svn.r-project.org if
> you want to check out current code, or there are daily snapshots at
>   ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Software/R

> r-devel is the right place for patches, or r-bugs if it really is a bug fix.

Experience shows however that using either for patches is error-prone.
R-bugs tends to mangle attachments (or perhaps not unmangle what a mailer
has done to them), inline patches get mangled (wrapped, tabs expanded) and
attachments get stripped (even though some are allowed).

I think if you want to offer a patch, the best way to do it is to put it
on a website and include a URL, or offer to email it to interested people.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk