[Rd] 'R CMD config' doesn't work on Windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 18 08:24:08 CEST 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Seth Falcon wrote:

> Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> writes:
>> What is "config"?
>
>    Usage: R CMD config [options] [VAR]
>
>    Get the value of a basic R configure variable VAR which must be
>    among those listed in the 'Variables' section below, or the header
>    and library flags necessary for linking against R.
>
>> On Windows, it's assumed to be a Perl script stored in RHOME/bin and
>> as the message says, there's no such thing.
>
> I guess this is a feature request then :-(
> Any Perl experts keen on translating the shell script that does R CMD
> config?  I assume that is more or less what would be required.

You also need to collect the information.  Much of it is only relevant to
building R on a Unix-alike: as the comment says

## <NOTE>
## The variables are basically the precious configure variables (with
## the R_* and MAIN_* ones removed), plus FLIBS and BLAS_LIBS.

and they are extracted from ${R_HOME}/etc${R_ARCH}/Makeconf which does not
exist on Windows.

I think it is up to those who feel this is needed to contribute and
maintin the code.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk