[Rd] pari/gp interface

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 11:08:32 CEST 2006

Hi

I'm developing an R package that
needs to execute some code written in pari/gp.

I've used this before from an R package (elliptic) but the interface
is very
basic: the R function creates a string such as the following:

string <- echo ' ellwp ([ 2+0*I , 0+2*I ], 1+0*I )' | gp -q

And then

system(string)

returns the output from gp which then needs to be text processed
(translating "I"
to "i", etc).

I don't think this approach would work under Windows.

Does anyone have any experience of calling pari/gp from R?

Or any ideas for a more portable method than the one above?

[
PARI/GP is a widely used computer algebra system designed for fast
computations
in number theory.  It is freely available at

  http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/
]

--
Robin Hankin