[Rd] comment causes browser() to exit (PR#9063)

Tim Hesterberg timh at insightful.com
Fri Jul 7 19:22:10 CEST 2006

>If I'm not mistaken, this works as documented.  ...

Thanks for the response.

The behavior with <return> is as documented -- hence my earlier
"enhancement" request.
The behavior with <a comment> is contrary to the documentation, hence
this as a "bug" report.

On the second point -- help(browser) says:
     Anything else entered at the browser prompt is interpreted as an R
     expression to be evaluated in the calling environment: ...
whereas the actual behavior is to interpret a comment as equivalent to "c",
and to exit the browser.

On the first point -- I would like to argue that the behavior of
return (and comments) should be changed, at least as a user option.
Here is a typical piece of code from a function; note the use of
comments and blank lines to improve readability:

  # If statistic isn't a function or name of function or expression,
  # store it as an expression to pass to fit.func.
  substitute.stat <- substitute(statistic)
  if(!is.element(mode(substitute.stat), c("name", "function")))
    statistic <- substitute.stat

  # Get name of data.
  data.name <- substitute(data)
  if(!is.name(data.name))
    data.name <- "data"
  is.df.data <- is.data.frame(data)

  # How many observations, or subjects if sampling by subject?
  n <- nObservations <- numRows(data)  # n will change later if by subject

  # Save group or subject arguments?
  if(is.null(save.subject)) save.subject <- (n <= 10000)
  if(is.null(save.group))   save.group   <- (n <= 10000)

If I now stick a browser() in that function, and throw a line at a
time from the source file to R, it exits whenever I throw a blank line
or comment.  I try to remember to skip the blank lines and comments,
but I sometimes forget, and get very annoyed when I have to start over.

I could use "c" in some contexts, but not others:
* I often want to evaluate code that is not part of the
  defined function.
* I sometimes change objects and want to go evaluate some lines
  that were previously evaluated.

In the enhancement request I requested an option to turn off the current
behavior of return.  I personally would just change the default behavior,
and have both blank lines and comments do nothing.  This is simpler, and
people can always use c to quit the browser.

This behavior of browser() is the most annoying thing I've found
about using R.  As I anticipate using R a lot in the future, I would
appreciate very much if it is changed.  I spent a fair amount of time
trying to see if I could change it myself, but gave up.

Tim Hesterberg