[Rd] comment causes browser() to exit (PR#9063)

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Jul 7 16:26:24 CEST 2006

If I'm not mistaken, this works as documented.  As an example (typed
directly into the Rgui console on WinXP):

R> f <- function() {
+     browser()
+     cat("I'm here!\n")
+     cat("I'm still here!\n")
+ }
R> f()
Called from: f()
Browse[1]> ## where to?
I'm here!
I'm still here!

which I think is what you saw.  However:

R> f()
Called from: f()
Browse[1]> n
debug: cat("I'm here!\n")
Browse[1]> ##
I'm here!
debug: cat("I'm still here!\n")
Browse[1]>
I'm still here!

>From ?browser:

(or just return) exit the browser and continue execution at the next
statement.
cont
synonym for c.
enter the step-through debugger. This changes the meaning of c: see the
documentation for debug.

My interpretation of this is that, if the first thing typed (or pasted) in
is something like a null statement (e.g., return, empty line, or comment),
it's the same as 'c', but if the null statement follows 'n', then it behaves
differently.

               _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          3.1
year           2006
month          06
day            01
svn rev        38247
language       R
version.string Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)

Andy

From: timh at insightful.com