[Rd] prefix 'R_' when calling external code

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 10:19:50 CEST 2006

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006, Benjamin Tyner wrote:

> I noticed that in
>
> https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/stats/R/loess.R
>
> that we are now calling R_loess_raw, R_lowesw, R_lowesp, etc. I'm
> interested to know what is the benefit/reason for the 'R_', as I am
> unfamiliar with this prefix and do not see it mentioned in 'Writing R
> Extensions.'

It is used when mapping external entry points to R symbols in that
package: the latter must not clash with other R objects in the namespace,
and this is why the prefix is added (in the NAMESPACE file, at

  # Refer to all C/Fortran routines by their name prefixed by R_
useDynLib(stats, .registration = TRUE, .fixes = "R_")

).

You say 'now': 'we' (R-core) never had loess_raw as an R symbol, rather
"loess_raw" as a character string.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk