[Rd] Section 7.1 HML documentation (PR#8484)

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 18 10:48:18 CET 2006

Greg Kochanski wrote:
> Well, I don't know how it can be precise
> and correct when it has dangling antecedents.
> Gramatically speaking, that's the equivalent of
> an uninitialized pointer.

I don't think there is anything "dangling" there. What the paragraph
assumes (and quite patently wrongly) is that the reader had encountered
the concept of "R connection object of the socket type" elsewhere.
Without that background, one tends to interprete the phrase "socket
connection" in the traditional unix sense (i.e. = "BSD socket"), and
hence one reads the paragraph as " XXX is older than XXX and XXX is
newer than XXX and there had been potential problems with XXX and
one should use XXX instead (of XXX)".

> However, I agree with you that it probably just
> needs a minor bit of fiddling to make sure it
> answers "Instead of what?" and "Earlier than what?"

I have re-read R-data and it seems the fault is yours. Because
"Connection" is mentioned in quite a major way and is the entire subject
of chapter 6 and comes earlier than the paragraph you quoted in
chapter 7. So it seems to be your own fault of trying to
understand chapter 7 without noticing the header of chapter 6
nor reading it!

===============
6 Connections

"Connections" are used in R in the sense of Chambers (1998), a set of
functions to replace the use
of file names by a flexible interface to file-like objects.

6.1 Types of connections

Sockets can also be used as connections via function socketConnection on
platforms which
support Berkeley-like sockets (most Unix systems, Linux and Windows).
Sockets can be written
to or read from, and both client and server sockets can be used.

7 Network interfaces
Some limited facilities are available to exchange data at a lower level
across network connections.

7.1 Reading from sockets

...<the paragraph concerned>