[Rd] NAMESPACE Q: does import as exist?

Mark.Bravington@csiro.au Mark.Bravington at csiro.au
Wed Feb 8 04:14:15 CET 2006

> On 2/7/2006 8:48 PM, Seth Falcon wrote:
> > Is there a way to rename a function when importing it?  I
> want to say,
> > "import yourFunc from Foo as myFunc" in the NAMESPACE file.

I don't think Seth's facility exists yet, but it has occurred to me
previously that it would be useful when you need to import two different
functions with the same name from two different packages. (Rare but does
happen.) Duncan's solution won't get around that. So it would be nice to
be able to do this

ImportFromAs( 'pack1', 'funca', 'pack1.funca')
ImportFromAs( 'pack2', 'funca', 'different.name.altogether')

in a NAMESPACE file. Useful-- yes. Possible-- I don't know!

Mark Bravington
CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
Marine Laboratory
Castray Esplanade
Hobart 7001
TAS