[Rd] SaveImage, LazyLoad, S4 and all that {was "install.R ... files"}

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 5 16:50:30 CET 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Robert Gentleman wrote:

> My understanding, and John or others may correct that, is that you need
> SaveImage if you want to have the class hierarchy and generic functions, plus
> associated methods all created and saved at build time.

That meaning the time of using R CMD INSTALL rather than using R CMD
build, I guess?  (We do have an unfortunate ambiguity.)

> This is basically a sort of compilation step, and IMHO, should always be
> done since it only needs to be done once, rather than every time a
> package is loaded. Note that attaching your methods to other people's
> generics has to happen at load time, since you won't necessarily know
> where they are or even what they are until then (using an import
> directive may alleviate some of those issues but I have not tested just
> what does and does not work currently).

My understanding is that `compilation step' creates objects which are then
saved in the image.  Such objects would also be saved if the image is
converted into a lazyload database.

> I hope that LazyLoad does what it says it does, that is dissociates the value
> from the symbol in such a way that the value lives on disk until it is
> wanted, but the symbol is available at package load time. I do not see how
> this relates to precomputing an image,

You obviously have this defined a different way to me: I believe (and so
does my dictionary) that the image is what I save in my camera, not the
real world scene.  I understand 'save' to save an image of an environment,
that is to make a representation on a connection that can be used to
recreate the environment at a later date.

> and would not be very happy if the two ideas became one, they really are
> different and can be used to solve very different problems.

To create a lazyload database you first need an environment to save. On
linked to promises that will recreate the values at a later date.  So both
mechanisms create an environment which they `image' in different ways.

The difference here is an inadvertent difference in the Unix INSTALL
script, which I have now corrected.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk