[Rd] SaveImage, LazyLoad, S4 and all that {was "install.R ... files"}

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 3 17:00:41 CET 2006

My understanding, and John or others may correct that, is that you need
SaveImage if you want to have the class hierarchy and generic functions,
plus associated methods all created and saved at build time. This is
basically a sort of compilation step, and IMHO, should always be done
since it only needs to be done once, rather than every time a package is
loaded. Note that attaching your methods to other people's generics has
to happen at load time, since you won't necessarily know where they are
or even what they are until then (using an import directive may
alleviate some of those issues but I have not tested just what does and
does not work currently).

I hope that LazyLoad does what it says it does, that is dissociates the
value from the symbol in such a way that the value lives on disk until
it is wanted, but the symbol is available at package load time. I do not
see how this relates to precomputing an image, and would not be very
happy if the two ideas became one, they really are different and can be
used to solve very different problems.

best wishes
  Robert

--