[Rd] PATCH: Add fields argument to installed.packages and available.packages

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 16:56:41 CEST 2006

Rather than a plethora of fields, perhaps the Depends field could indicate
what depends on the object:  For example, if we use file extensions to
indicate what is dependent then one might write this to indicate that
some .Rd (i.e. examples) and .Rnw (i.e. vignette) files depend on lattice
and the entire package depends on zoo and the package is related to
but not dependent on tseries:

Depends: lattice (.Rd, .Rnw), grid (.Rnw), zoo, tseries (0)

Then there could be rules for each such suffix when processing
the package.

This has the advantage that its meaning is more obvious than a bunch
of keywords (Depends, Suggests, CanUse, Related).