[Rd] Changes to environments in R-devel

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 4 16:08:55 CET 2005

As a followup, these changes have some impacts on already installed
packages, most likely including all those using lazy-loading or saved
images.

If you are building from a checked-out version of R you will need to
trigger re-installation of the recommended packages.  Unix users can do
that by

    rm src/library/Recommended/*.ts
    make

but Windows users will best do 'make distclean; make all recommended' as a
clean is needed.

One way to re-install all other packages is

> have <- installed.packages(priority="NA")[,1]
> install.packages(have)

at least if you have them all in the main library tree or all in one
additional tree.  Doing it from within R ensures that the dependency order
is maintained.  If like me you have almost all CRAN packages installed
that will take quite a while.

Note that re-installing binary packages under Windows and MacOS X will not
be effective until the repositories have been rebuilt.