[Rd] trouble building r-devel

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 22 12:40:48 CET 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:32:33 +0100, Uwe Ligges
<ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote :

>Mark.Bravington at csiro.au wrote:
>
>> Thanks Seth (and Duncan)-- the murdoch-sutherland page seems to fix
>> everything. The slimmed-down INSTALL file in R-devel src gnuwin32
>> doesn't refer to the page-- it might be good to add a reference.
>
>Mark,
>
>I disagree.
>This "slimmed-down" file points you to the thorough Chapter "Installing
>R under Windows" in the "`R Installation and Administration' manual in
>the doc/manual directory". Quite at the top of Section "Building from
>source" there is the Subsection "Getting the tools".
>
>I think we do NOT want to point people to Duncan's page at first, or
>they would not read the more comprehensive manual any more.

This is a problem that is hopefully temporary.  Once 2.1.0 is out, it
will be reasonable to expect most Windows users to have installed the
binary version and have the manual available, the manual will be
available online, etc.  However, right now a source download only gets
the Texinfo source for the manual.

But as you say, the manual is the authority on how to do installs.
The web page will only have better information if the manual is out of
date, and that shouldn't happen before the release.

Duncan Murdoch