[Rd] Computer algebra in R - would that be an idea??

Ayal Pinkus apinkus at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 17 20:55:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

> R builds fine under Windows (though you need to pay attention to
> the details
> which are in the (binary) distribution in the pdf files, in
> particular: `R
> Installation and Administration Manual', a html copy is also on the
> website;
> and the README* and INSTALL files in src/gnuwin32/ ).  These
> details look
> tedious at first, and you may have to install a few things, but it
> keeps the
> sources closely tied between Windoze and the Unixish operating
> systems on
> which many of us prefer to develop.

Ok. Unfortunately I work on a Mac OS X at home (I have access to
Windows, MS DevStudio
at work but want to keep work and hobby separate). I do work with
Xcode (have to
delve deeper in to Cocoa still though). Can integration also be done
on Mac OS X?
If I understood correctly you go the COM route for integration on
Windows?

CrystalSpace is a 3d engine that has a COM simulation layer for Unix-
style platforms
I think (last time I looked was a few years back). It would
essentially be a thin layer
to implementations of abstract classes.

I did download R for Mac OS X. It is quite a nice package! I wish I
had looked at it earlier.
You did a very good job on the user interface.

> Allow me to add that this sounds very exciting.

I agree!

I am working on a Java port at the moment. I will try to make some
time later this evening
or perhaps somewhere this week.

Ayal