[Rd] Computer algebra in R - would that be an idea??

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 15 15:14:45 CEST 2005

    bry> About a year ago there was a discussion about interfacing R with J on the J
    bry> forum, the best method seemed to be that outlined in this vector article
    bry> http://www.vector.org.uk/archive/v194/finn194.htm

(which is interesting to see for me,
 if I had known that my posted functions would make it to an APL
 workshop...
 BTW: Does one need special plugins / fonts to properly view
     the APL symbols ? )

    bry> and use J instead of APL

    bry> http://www.jsoftware.com

well, I've learned about J as the ASCII-variant of APL, and APL
used to be my first `beloved' computer language (in high school!)
-- but does J really provide computer algebra in the sense of
Maxima , Maple or yacas... ??

(and no, please refrain from flame wars about APL vs .. vs ..,
 it's hard to refrain for me, too...)

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich