[Rd] Re: [R] RData loading weirdness

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Feb 1 14:58:58 CET 2005

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> We've found Linux to be rather unhelpful with out-of-memory
> conditions: one of our servers started `randomly' killing processes
> when its swap space got full -- and one of the first was the sshd
> daemon which cut off all remote access ....

This is running off-topic, but I believe that this has been recently
worked on, and at least SuSE (I'm not going home just to open the lid
on the laptop running FC3 just now!) now has the behaviour controlled
by kernel flags in /proc/sys/vm/local-oom-kill and
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory. Not sure what the first one means
exactly, though ...