[Rd] Re: [R] RData loading weirdness

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 14:31:13 CET 2005

[Moved to R-devel: see the posting guide for the currently made
distinction.]

The format of .RData has not changed, so this is still of interest.

We have seen things like this, the problem being the way an out-of-memory
condition got handled by Linux -- how much memory did his machine have?
(Remember 67Mb is compressed, often highly compressed.)

It has certainly been possible to save a workspace that needs much more
memory to be restored on the same machine than it originally took.

We've found Linux to be rather unhelpful with out-of-memory conditions:
one of our servers started `randomly' killing processes when its swap
space got full -- and one of the first was the sshd daemon which cut off
all remote access ....