[Rd] Internationalization questions

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Aug 22 14:32:44 CEST 2005

Dear Brian,

On my XP system, the tabs are (in order) Regional Options, Languages, and
Advanced. I have now set all three to "French (Canada)" -- including in the
subdialog produced by the Details button under Languages, and rebooted. I
still get English button labels.

I've just read over the rw-FAQ from R 2.2.0 devel, but will read it more
carefully.

I guess that I'm willing to accept that Windows users who use languages
other than English know how to set up their systems properly.

> > (2) I'm still looking for a reliable way to determine whether R is
> > using English. Currently, I have the function
> >
> > English <- function() {
> >    env <- Sys.getenv()
> >    names(env) <- toupper(names(env))
> >    LANG <- env["LANGUAGE"]
> >    LC_CTYPE <- Sys.getlocale("LC_CTYPE")
> >    if (!is.na(LANG)) length(grep("^en", LANG, ignore.case=TRUE)) > 0
> >    else LC_CTYPE == "C" || length(grep("^en", LC_CTYPE,
> > ignore.case=TRUE))
> >> 0
> >    }
> >

> > (adapting and extending a suggestion by Simon Urbanek) which checks
> > not just the locale but also for an environment variable named
> > LANGUAGE. Is this sufficient?
>
> Using English for what?  (See my comments above.)   For
> messages, yes, it
> covers all the quirks we know about in the major OSes.

Checking for English messages is sufficient for my purposes.

Thanks for your help,
 John