[Rd] C++ <-> R mapping

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Tue Apr 26 20:20:17 CEST 2005

An alternative that *might* be more efficient: Write a single R-function
corresponding to each C++ function (which could have multiple methods).
  This R function would analyze its arguments and call the appropriate
C++ method.  Whether or not this will be more efficient probably depends
on the ratio of the number of methods to the number of functions -- if
there are relatively few functions, each with many methods, then it will
probably be more efficient.

Whether or not you make your C++ classes, and additionally the
inheritance structure, correspond to S3 or S4 classes is another choice.
  If you define your inheritance structure in your own data structures
outside of S3 or S4 mechanisms, then you have the freedom to model the
C++ class structure more accurately, e.g., by modeling multiple inheritance.

-- Tony Plate