[Rd] Enhanced version of plot.lm()

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 26 12:13:38 CEST 2005

    JMd> The web page http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~johnm/r/plot-lm/
    JMd> now includes files:
    JMd> plot.lm.RData: Image for file for plot6.lm, a version of plot.lm in
    JMd> which
    JMd> David Firth's Cook's distance vs leverage/(1-leverage) plot is plot 6.
    JMd> The tick labels are in units of leverage, and the contour labels are
    JMd> in units of absolute values of the standardized residual.

    JMd> plot6.lm.Rd file: A matching help file

    JMd> Comments will be welcome.

Thank you John!

The *.Rd has the new references and a new example but
is not quite complete: the \usage{} has only 4 captions,
\arguments{ .. \item{which} ..}  only mentions '1:5' --- but
never mind.

One of the new examples is

    ## Replace Cook's distance plot by Residual-Leverage plot
    plot(lm.SR, which=c(1:3, 5))

and -- conceptually I'd really like to change the default from
'which = 1:4' to the above
'which=c(1:3, 5))'

This would be non-compatible though for all those that have
always used the current default 1:4.
OTOH, "MASS" or Peter Dalgaard's book don't mention  plot(<lm fit> )
or at least don't show it's result.

What do others think?
How problematic would a change be in the default plots that
plot.lm() produces?

    JMd> Another issue, discussed recently on r-help, is that when the model
    JMd> formula is long, the default sub.caption=deparse(x$call) is broken
    JMd> into multiple text elements and overwrites.
good point!

    JMd>  The only clean and simple way that I can see to handle
    JMd> is to set a default that tests whether the formula is
    JMd> broken into multiple text elements, and if it is then
    JMd> omit it.  Users can then use their own imaginative
    JMd> skills, and such suggestions as have been made on
    JMd> r-help, to construct whatever form of labeling best
    JMd> suits their case, their imaginative skills and their
    JMd> coding skills.

Hmm, yes, but I think we (R programmers) could try a bit harder
to provide a reasonable default, e.g., something along

 cap <- deparse(x$call, width.cutoff = 500)[1]
 if((nc <- nchar(cap)) > 53)
     cap <- paste(substr(cap, 1, 50), "....", substr(cap, nc-2, nc))

{untested;  some of the details will differ;
 and the '53', '50' could depend on par("..") measures}