problem with tcltk under Windows (was [Rd] RE: [R] one more Rcmdrproblem)

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 22 15:54:19 CEST 2004

Dear Erich,

I'm afraid that this time I can't duplicate the problem on a Windows XP Pro
system. To verify that reading data from packages works, I downloaded (but
didn't compile myself) the latest R-patched 2.0.0 from CRAN, dated Oct. 21.
I downloaded from my web site the compiled Windows binary of Rcmdr 0.9-12
(i.e., the version in development). Everything appears to work fine. I
repeated this on another Win XP Pro machine and that worked fine too.

The error message pops up as a consequence of the manner in which the Rcmdr
intercepts errors. It might help to know what the content of that error
message was. (I'm not sure why the Rcmdr would have tried to *load* a
package; presumably it was looking for data sets in packages already loaded.
Perhaps this is a clue to a bug.)

Recall that the last time a problem occurred here, it reflected a more
general tcltk problem with R 2.0.0. That was fixed in R-patched, so you may
have uncovered an independent problem.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this since I want to submit version 0.9-12
of the Rcmdr package to CRAN (indeed, intended to do that today, since I've
finished my testing), but want first to make sure that it's working properly
with R 2.0.0.

Regards,
 John

John Fox