[Rd] \link{} to help pages in Debian

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 29 10:20:10 CET 2004

    Iago> Hello,
    Iago> In my Debian 3.0 systems, packages are installed in two different
    Iago> places, namely /usr/lib/R/library and /usr/local/lib/R/site-library,
    Iago> depending on whether they come from debian packages or CRAN ones. Help
    Iago> pages for my own packages, installed in the second location, cannot find
    Iago> help pages from, for example, the base package via \link{}. I also tried
    Iago> specifying the package with \link[pkg]{page}.

    Iago> Is the only solution to force the system to use a single library folder?

not at all!
We have been working with several libraries "forever",
and I think I have n't seen your problem ever.

For instance, I never install extra packages into the "standard"
library (the one where "base" is in); have all CRAN packages in
one library, bioconductor in another library, etc,etc.

    Iago> Can I force the help system to look in both places?

Actually you forgot to specify which interface to the help system
you are using.  But I assume you mean the help.start()
{webbrowser-"HTML"} one (which I very rarely use, since ESS and
"C-c C-v" is faster; to  follow links in ESS help buffers, after
selection, often "h"  <Return>" is sufficient -- ah reminds me
of an ESS improvement  I've wanted to implement...)

For me, help.start() works fine including links between pages
from packages in different libraries.

Martin