[Rd] Namespaces, coercion and setAs

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Nov 26 19:29:29 CET 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, roger koenker wrote:

> I'm trying to resolve a small problem that has arisen from introducing a
> NAMESPACE for the package SparseM.  Prior to the namespace I had a class
> "matrix.diag.csr" that consisted of diagonal sparse matrices.  It was
> defined to have the same attributes as the matrix.csr class and setAs
> was used to define how to coerce integers and vectors into this form:
>
> setClass("matrix.diag.csr","matrix.csr")
>
> setAs("numeric","matrix.diag.csr",function(from){
>          if(length(from)==1){
>                  n <- as.integer(from)
>                  if(n>0) from  <-  rep(1,n)
>                  else stop("Sparse identity matrices must have positive,
> integer dimension")
>                  }
>          else n <- length(from)
>          return(new("matrix.diag.csr", ra = from ,ja = as.integer(1:n),
>                  ia = as.integer(1:(n+1)), dimension =
> as.integer(c(n,n))))
>          })
>
> This seemed to be fine.   I could do,
>
> 	A  <- as(5,"matrix.diag.csr")
>
> and A would be a 5x5 identity matrix in sparse form.  But post-namespace
> I get:
>
>  >A <- as(5,"matrix.diag.csr") Error in as(5, "matrix.diag.csr") : No
> method or default for coercing "numeric" to "matrix.diag.csr"
>
> so apparently using exportClass(matrix.diag.csr)  isn't sufficient for
> coerce to know what to do. Using findClass("matrix.diag.csr") indicates
> that the class is recognized to be from SparseM, so my question is:  is
> there some mechanism that I'm missing in the NAMESPACE scheme that would
> enable my old setAs() directive to work, or is there some other
> suggestion on how to proceed?

I'm far from sure about this, but is "coerce" one of the exported methods?
I'm having the same difficulty in retrofitting a NAMESPACE to the
forthcoming sp package of spatial classes, for S4 classes.

I see from src/library/methods/NAMESPACE that as and coerce are exported
from there - should a package with a NAMESPACE and S4 classes do

import(methods) ?

Roger