[Rd] Modes again

Gregor GORJANC gregor.gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Fri Nov 26 11:25:11 CET 2004

Hello!

I write once more. I slightly modified your code Ross and now it returns
all modes from the distribution. I changed the name of the funtion to
distinguish the difference. I do not like the name simpleMode, however
mode is already taken by another function (The (Storage) Mode of an Object).

It would be nice to have some additional options for number of
observations in modes, however this is above my current programming
skills in R. I don't like the use of cat for returning the result. That
is the reason I am sending this mail also to R-devel list. Maybe anybody
there can solve the issue. Quite some users asked for mode calculation
function and it would really nice to have it in R by default.

modus <- function (x) {

     # Returns the modes of a value set
     # Based on Ross NELSONs code from 2004-11-16 (on R-help mailling list)

     # create a table with the values sorted by frequency
     sortvar <- sort(table(x))
     # get the max frequency
     maxfreq <- max(sortvar)
     # find values with high frequency
     modeTable <- which(sortvar == maxfreq)
     # get the name (value) of the most frequent value
     themoderesult <- names(modeTable)
     # Report
     return(themoderesult)

     # data(CO2)
     # modus(CO2$uptake)
     # rm(CO2)

}

--
Lep pozdrav / With regards / Con respeto,
     Gregor GORJANC

University of Ljubljana
Biotechnical Faculty       URI: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si
Zootechnical Department    mail: gregor.gorjanc <at> bfro.uni-lj.si
Groblje 3                  tel: +386 (0)1 72 17 861
SI-1230 Domzale            fax: +386 (0)1 72 41 005
Slovenia