[Rd] whishlist: legend - changing color of the boxes-border

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Nov 20 19:08:05 CET 2004

Wolski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Drawing a legend I would like to be able to specify the color of boxes which are drawn if fill or density is specified.
> eg.
> legend(0,40000,c("raw","LR/PR-TPS"),fill=c(1,2),col=c(1,2),density=c(20,20),angle=c(-20,45),bty="n")
>
> Currently the color of the boxes -- border is always black and can *not* be changed. To get this option only a *minimal* change is required.
> Please consider the following code snipped copied from the function legend (package graphics).
>
> The sensible line is marked by ###<-
>
>  if (mfill) {
>         if (plot) {
>             fill <- rep(fill, length.out = n.leg)
>             rect2(left = xt, top = yt + ybox/2, dx = xbox, dy = ybox,
>                 col = fill, density = density, angle = angle,
>                 border = "black")                                                          ####<--
>         }
>         xt <- xt + dx.fill
>     }
>
> Changing this line from
>
> border="black"
>
> border=col.
>
> Will enable to specify the color of the boxes borders.
>
> If specifying the colors by param _fill_ the parameter _col_ is not used anyway but still available and set already to black in the parameter declaration. Therefore why not use it to specify colors to borders of boxes?

No! You want to specify "col" rather than "fill" in the following example:

   plot(1:10)
   legend(3,3, c("Hello", "World"), pch=1:2, fill=c("red", "black"))

But what you can easily do to change the box color is:

   plot(1:10)
   opar <- par(fg="blue")
   legend(3, 3, "Hello World", pch=20, col="red", text.col="green")
   par(opar)

Uwe Ligges