[Rd] wishlist: better error message in R CMD check

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Nov 7 13:21:39 CET 2004

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> Liaw, Andy <andy_liaw <at> merck.com> writes:
>

>>Gabor,
>>
>>I guess is that you did not try to run R CMD INSTALL before R CMD check.  R
>>CMD check will try to install the package first (in pkg.Rcheck), and only if
>>that's successful would checks be done.
>>
>>The installation process will concatenate all R files in R/ to a single file
>>and essentially source() that in upon package loading.  That's where you
>>would see the syntax error.  I believe the recommended way is to install the
>>package and play with that a bit first, before doing R CMD check.  You'd
>>find some problems are much easier to find that way (e.g., errors in
>>NAMESPACE).
>

> Thanks. Unfortunately if I run R CMD INSTALL
> I get this:
>
> [...]
>   preparing package zoo for lazy loading
> Error in tools:::.read_description(file) :
>         file '/DESCRIPTION' does not exist
> Execution halted
> make: *** [lazyload] Error 1
> *** Installation of zoo failed ***
>
> Removing 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/RW2001~1/library/zoo'
>
> I get a similar message if I run R CMD build --binary .
>
> The DESCRIPTION file definitely exists so I assume it to
> be something else.

In a few minutes, I'll comment to the "/DESCRIPTION" error in the other
R-devel thread "[Rd] creating a package without lazy loading" you have
opened.

The next error below is unrelated, AFAICS. You been bitten by a bug in
some function, but we cannot say without a reproducible example, e.g. a
minimal (!!!) version of the non-working package sources.

Uwe Ligges