[Rd] Several libraries won't load with (PR#6927)

rmh at temple.edu rmh at temple.edu
Mon May 31 17:34:12 CEST 2004

Thank you both.

1. It looks like part of the problem is indeed that the packages in the
patched version for Windows aren't coordinated with the libraries.

rw1090
library(MASS)  ## works

rw1090pat
library(MASS)  ## doesn't work
library(MASS, lib.loc="c:/progra~1/R/rw1090/library")  ## works

2. This doesn't explain why the freshly downloaded Hmisc and multcomp
packages didn't load.  I now think that is due to a documentation
problem.  I am using Windows.  All the documentation for installing
packages is Unix-centric.  Your emails were also Unix-centric.

After wandering through documentation I initially unzipped the
downloaded files, for example,
    Windows binary: Hmisc_2.0-9.zip
into the rw1090pat/library.  This unpacked correctly but did not load.

After your emails, I tried Rgui and found the "Packages/Install
package(s) from local zip files..." menu item.  I did this and now it
works.  The unzipped files in library/Hmisc/* are identical when I did
a manual unzip and when I did the menu installation.

Suggestion: please add a paragraph to the top of the Contributed Packages
page that says, "Windows users---including ESS Windows users---should install
the downloaded zip file with the Packages menu item from Rgui".

3. Martin's comment
   > Are you running another version of R simultaneously?
   > IIRC, Windoze has the nice feature to sometimes lock files when
   > it shouldn't.
isn't the problem.  I have two Rgui and one iESS [R] running and all three
have loaded the Hmisc and multcomp packages.

Rich